Laser cutting machines can cut a wide variety of industrial materials of varying thickness to just about any shape. Quick, clean, accurate and adaptable, laser cutting is the preferred method for many businesses across a wide range of industries.
Laser cutting machines can:
- cut stainless steel up to 5mm (with QCW 450 source)
- cut brass up to 3mm (with QCW 450 source)
- cut aluminium up to 5mm (with QCW 450 source) ()
- cut mild steel up to 8mm (with QCW 450 source)
- cut textiles, organics (leather, cork, wax, etc) plastics and wood up to 25mm
Lasers can cut much thicker materials if a different laser source is selected and can also cut labels, signs, paper, cardboard, composites, flexible circuits .......the list goes on!
Fibre Laser Cutting
Fiber lasers vary from standard laser cutting machines such as CO2, being completely solid state in build and design. They therefore have no mechanical cavity resonators or mirrors and have no parts that can be adjusted. There are no replaceable parts within the laser. Fiber lasers don’t rely on gas for excitement so have none of the costs associated with free flowing, gas based CO2 lasers. So are cheaper to run and far more efficient:
- Laser output of light is sent along a flexible optical fiber pipe that is plugged directly into the laser cutting head.
- This eliminates the requirement or need for optics in the delivery path and also eliminates any adjustments to the beam.
- Emission is at 1u (Micron) wavelength.
When it comes to efficiency fibre laser cutters are far superior to its Co2 rival for cutting metals. Not only does it cut faster but does so at lower power - typically 3.5 times faster on 1mm steel than an equivalent Co2 system.
We also need to look at how green the technology is, wall plug efficiency of IPG’s fiber lasers offer the highest of any commercial laser. It isn’t just the fact they use less electricity whilst cutting but the added benefit of a reduction in cooling required for removal of unwanted heat is also proportionally reduced. This in turn reduces the electrical services required.
The numbers don’t lie with 37% wall plug efficiency added to the improvement of material cutting characteristics, with materials like copper and brass which previously could not be cut on CO2 now easily achievable with fibre. Fibre lasers typically use 70% less electrical energy when compared to CO2 lasers in metal cutting applications.
Industrial Laser Cutters
Industrial laser cutting machines can:
- Cut almost any Shape Imaginable with the Highest Flexibility
- Produce Small Kerfs of only 0.15mm
- cut fine Details and the Smallest Pieces with the Highest Precision
- Produce Inlays Without Gaps
- Avoid Burning or Breaking
- Save Costs Due to Much Less Waste of Material
You can use standard illustrator or CAD files. All the operator has to do is simply load the material, select the file to cut, and start the machine. There is no complicated CNC. It’s a wear-free, non-contact tool. You do not need expensive cutting tools and it provides easy fixing of work pieces.